Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Life

We've been busy! :-) Life hasn't slowed down at all for us and it really doesn't look like it's going to anytime in the near future. Here's what we've been up to lately:

We moved into our new apartment 3 weeks ago and have been settling in since then. My Dad came out for the weekend to help us move (Thanks Dad!). Since we couldn't move in until Saturday, I took a personal day on Friday so that we could have a father/daughter day. We hung out in Boulder most of the day and just enjoyed the great weather and time together. The move went well, though moving to a 3rd floor apartment made it slightly more challenging. Scott and I have felt at home here since our first night. We're 96% unpacked...hopefully this weekend we can say we're 100% unpacked! :-) Once we are all unpacked I'll be sure to take pictures and post them so you all can see our new home!

Scott and I have finally found our "grove" in our weekly schedules. With Scott being in class 4 nights a week this semester we have put a lot of importance on enjoying the time we do get to spend together. Every night, after Scott gets home, we curl up on the couch, turn on the fireplace and get caught up with our favorite TV shows. Lately we have been having a cup of hot chocolate (sometimes with a little Baileys and Whip Cream on top) to end the day. It's not much time, but it's wonderful and it helps us get through the weeks. Next semester it sounds like he'll only have class 3 nights a week....I'll take it! :-)

Besides not being home every night, Scott is really enjoying his classes at Metro State. He started flying lessons this past weekend. He tells me that if he gets nothing else out of the classes he's taking, they are going to make him a much better pilot! He's hoping to fly 2-3 times a week for as long as the weather allows. It sounds like he'll get his license by next Spring. We are still unsure as to where this new adventure will take him but we are both optimistic that it's going to lead to something great, which makes the sacrifice worth it.

I, on the other hand, am enjoying not being in school! It's almost been a year since I graduated Grad School and so much has changed! I am really enjoying my job! I'm learning every day and developing great personal and professional relationship along the way. For those of you who don't know, I'm working at H+L Architecture as a medical planner on the Denver's Children's Hospital. The project is very rewarding and very challenging at the same time. I'm so excited to be a part of this organization and so happy knowing that my work will help thousands of children from all over the country. The challenging part is disconnecting myself with the patients. I don't have any contact with the patients but I find myself having trouble breathing when I am working on the 7th floor Cancer Center or designing the ceiling in a hospices room. Call me human (or a future mom), but I can't imagine what the parents are going through if there child is in one of those rooms. I don't know if I could deal with it. I pray to God that when Scott and I have children we don't find ourselves on the 7th floor of TCH. But, I guess that's the rewarding part too, knowing that there is a place that we could take our kids to that will make them feel as at home as possible and a place where they will get the best care in Colorado! Our project is scheduled to open in late 2011 or early 2012 so I have a little job security.

Besides working I have been looking forward in my career. I have decided to start taking the Architectural Registration Exams after the first of the year. I have 7 exams to study for, take and pass before I can officially call myself an Architect! I've been working on being an architect since I was 7 years old....I'm just ready to be done! The exams are challenging and even extensive studying doesn't promise that I'm going to pass every single one....good thing they let you retake! My strategy is this: study for 4 week, test, take a week of and repeat! If I start in January it's my goal to have all 7 tests taken by October and doing any retesting by the end of the year. I am for warning you now....I might fall a bit behind on blogging next year. It's going to be a very large time commitment but it's something I have been working towards my whole life and something that I need to do in order to move on with the rest of my life. Again, the outcome will out weigh the sacrifice. Wish me luck!

Like I said at the beginning, I don't seen our lives slowing down much in the future. We have a few weeks of nothing much going on and then we're right back in the crazy-ness mix. We're off to Vegas in November. I was awarded a scholarship to attend a national design conference and Scott is going to join me in Sin City for the weekend. After that Scott is off to Cali to visit his Dad for a weekend. November will be busy, as it always is, with my birthday, Thanksgiving and the start of the Holiday Season. This is my favorite time of year! I am so excited for these next few months!!!! I'll try to keep everyone up-to-date with all of our fun and busy lives!

Love,
Heather

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the update, love Mom Jane